Tuesday, March 6, 2007

New Orleans, LA via Ferry

We stopped at the Louisiana's Welcome Center to ask if the roads were open enough to drive thru the 9th Ward. They gave me directions and a map. Since I usually navigate better than Sharon, Sharon drove the truck and I gave her directions.

I missed the turn on Paris Street and we ended up on a very narrow entrance ramp to a ferry.
That's right; we still had the camper in tow.
There was nowhere to go except to get on the ferry and ride across the river.
I wasn't sure if they would let us on the ferry. But there was no alternative. There was no way that I was going to be able to back up the camper the 800+ yards around several sharp hairpin turns, on the very narrow road, to go back where we came from.
I never saw a sign saying that there was a ferry ahead.
After we crossed the river, we drove around a block and got back on the ferry to get back to the side of the river where the 9th Ward was located. They didn't charge us to go across but we had to pay $1.00 to get back were we started.
When we go site seeing, we see all the sites.

No comments: